Saturday, August 14, 2010

Overcoming PCOS

It was suggested as late as 15 years ago that maybe I have a hormone problem and everyone kept checking my thyroid, which always tested within range. Low, but within range, and no doctor would treat me to see if the added boost might kick in my metabolism.
I was finally diagnosed with PCOS about 10 years ago. What is PCOS? Pretty much a hormonal upset that starts a chain-reaction of whacked out hormones and uncontrollable weight gain.

Click here for the Web MD version: http://women.webmd.com/tc/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos-topic-overview or http://www.webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/guide/irregular-periods-and-getting-pregnant

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)

A common ovulation problem that affects about 5% to 10% of women in their reproductive years is polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). PCOS is a hormonal imbalance that can make the ovaries stop working normally. In most cases, the ovaries become enlarged and appear covered with tiny, fluid-filled cysts. Symptoms include:

• No periods, irregular periods, or irregular bleeding

• No ovulation or irregular ovulation

• Obesity or weight gain (although thin women may have PCOS)

• Insulin resistance (an indicator of diabetes)

• High blood pressure

• Abnormal cholesterol with high trigylcerides

• Excess hair growth on the body and face (hirsutism)

• Acne or oily skin

• Thinning hair or male-pattern baldness

To treat this terrible condition, they put you on the Pill. Um… how is being on the PILL going to help me get pregnant? Oh yeah, it’s not. The other treatment? Basically fertility drugs. Huh? So I go from not getting pregnant at all, to being hyper pregnant? There has got to be a middle ground…  Thankfully, I was eventually able to conceive, twice, and we put an end to this fertility nightmare when I had a tubal ligation. 

The funny thing... because I still have PCOS, the doctors tried to put me back on the Pill to regulate me!  It was a bad decision ... I bled for 22 days straight and was crazy hormonally.  The other option made me even crazier, and I quite like my un-regulated self so we decided against treatment and my PCOS is uncontrolled once again.  But thankfully, I can't get pregnant again.  I think 4 children is quite enough!

So, what else could possibly cause the symptoms to go away?  Maybe losing 150 pounds.  *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment